Monday 1 January 2007

new years day guppy fry

i woke up this morning and had a quick look at the fish as i was making coffee as usual and i noticed that the heavily pregnant female guppy was no longer heavily pregnant! as i looked around the tank with what were probably still bleary sleepy eyes i was beginning to resign myself to the fact that all the fry had been devoured by the rest of the tank-mates. :'-( then, much to my surprise i started to notice the small fry swimming close to the gravel, almost too small to see. in total, after what seemed like a rather skillful operation ( ;p ), i managed to rescue 8 guppy fry and put them in a suspended mesh box on the interior of the tank.

this is fantastic because i was beginning to think that my guppy population was faulty. i suspect one or two of the females have given birth already and the young fry eaten before i noticed. especially since until recently my atlus angel was still swimming around that tank happily terrorizing the neighbourhood...


tiny little guppies.... honest!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice one...

Are you sure you didn't just drop some pilau rice in the tank during the new years celebrations? ho, ho.

Result! How long until the swimming pool?

Ziggywigs said...

Nice blog....I envy you your tanks...my efforts were disastrous when i tried keeping them. :-)

Chas said...

Thanks for the comments chaps :-). In answer to your question Stu, read the 180 litre blog post. Gotta move house before I can start about thinking setting it up. Plus I need to get me a suitably hefty sideboard to stick it on. I'm thinking of slightly more professional setup with all the wiring and other gubbins hidden in the cupboards underneath.

Also, Stu (hehe, ahem), I think I am going to start bugging you for a little extra tuition in editing my blog site. Am I right in thinking that if I host it myself then I can have links to seperate pages? The blog layout is all well and good but I want bits of the site to contain more detailed information on my fauna and flora species. Oo lar-de-dar. ;p